Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My personal running space

I like running, but I don't enjoy inhaling exhaust fumes at the UP Oval. I also don't relish the thought of running alone inside a very public place like QC Circle. Bonifacio has beginner-friendly running routes, but I'd have to spend a lot of time on Edsa before I could get there for my weeknight runs.

Lucky for me, I found my very own personal running space! I was there tonight and I absolutely loved it. No cars, no bikers, no other joggers (except for that loner runner who came later and practiced on the inclines)--just space and me. Well, my sister Nina was there, but she was my running buddy, so technically we're one unit.

I did a number of laps around what looked like a helipad. It was just steady running; no looking around if I'd crash into another runner or get hit by a bike from behind. The only downside was, it wasn't very well lighted. Still, I don't mind running in relative darkness if there's nothing in my path that I could crash into. I also imagine the place would be hot during the day, like Bonifacio. But I never run before sundown so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Where is this place? It's behind UP Diliman's Math Bldg., which is right across DOST's Advanced Science & Tech Institute along C.P. Garcia. They have some sort of helipad there with an elliptical road around it. That's the road where I ran tonight.

There's enough space for parking in the nearby buildings. Or you can leave your stuff under some corner bush. You would always know if there's someone looking for it. I left mine in Lala's office at the Institute of Biology.

I'm running there again on Thursday. I hope I could leave work early so it wouldn't be too dark when I start running. If I can't, then I'll just have to wear blinkers or glow-in-the-dark accessories.

Here's to exercise and endorphins!

No comments:

Post a Comment