Friday, January 15, 2010

It's all about character

You know those days when you feel you're the worst person around, that you don't deserve the good things that the Universe throws your way?

Well, today was one of those rare days that I didn't feel that way. And it's because I realized there are people worse than I am. No, I'm not talking about politicians and criminals. I'm talking about people who are so full of themselves they're unable to see things from another's perspective. These are people who feel they're always right, they're always the best, they're always... (supply superlatives here). Odd thing is, they're not even close to good, much less the best. They do ridiculous things to irk you, to get you down to their level. Because that's what they are--low and ridiculous!

But I'm not letting these people get to me. No, no, no! I'm not giving them the satisfaction of seeing me dive down to the depths where they are. I will always remember who I am. I will remember that I am an accomplished person, that I compete only with my equals. I will remember that I have run in far more prestigious races--and won. I will remember that my parents brought me up to be a person of integrity. I will remember that, stripped of everything I own and have accomplished, I still have one thing that sets me apart from these people: character.

No comments:

Post a Comment