Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gym chronicles: Hot Flow

The first time we attempted to do Hot Flow at the Eastwood Fitness First was on October 25, Monday. I distinctly remember the date because that was local elections day, a non-working holiday for everyone but us.

There we were, Eleanor and I, feeling smug because we were the first to arrive for the 730pm class. We left Body Pump early just before that so we could adequately prepare for "an exhilarating workout [that] builds physical coordination and mental focus," which is how the Fitness First website described Hot Flow.

But then it became obvious that no one else was coming. There was only one other student there, looking as confused as we were. Thankfully, a nice (and somewhat cute) trainer came and told us that Hot Flow was scratched for that day, because the gym closes early on holidays.

Though frustrated because we drove all the way from SM North and paid for parking, all for nothing it turned out, we were still determined to try Hot Flow. We were curious because the website says it is done in a room heated to 37 degrees, and is especially designed for "those ready to challenge their fitness level," and we believed that was us. NOTTT!

Contortionist
We finally found out last night. Eleanor, Pinay and I went together. The class was smallish--about a dozen people. The instructor was the same lady who taught Body Step at SM North. I've attended that class twice. She didn't strike me as someone very flexible then--I thought she was built like one of those lady body builders. But last night she impressed me with the contortions she could do.

Yes, some of the yoga poses we did, or were expected to do, were veritable contortions. At one point, I saw the instructor's foot was suddenly next to her face, and I couldn't tell how it got there. I thought some of the poses were difficult because my legs were long and unwieldy to swing around. Then I saw one advanced student out front who was tall and muscular, with really long, skinny legs. He or she (I couldn't tell the gender from where I was positioned) was able to pull off most of the poses, not without difficulty, but still with a lot of grace.

For the most part, I tried to keep up with the poses that were doable. Many of them were similar to what is done in Dynamic Flow. The transition between poses was rather fast, which was just as well because I couldn't stay in one pose for more than a few seconds.

The instructor called out the names of the poses--or 'asanas' in Yogalese--and their English translations. I didn't know most of them, except the ones I've done in other yoga classes, like the child pose, the downward facing dog plank, the cobra roll, and the cat stretch. We also did--or at least attempted to do--the warrior poses, the dancer, the scorpion and the bow.

Where it got too difficult, I stayed in the most comfortable position. And because most poses were advanced, ironically, I didn't feel adequately worked out. Good thing the room was heated so I still sweat like I was in the dessert. I'm not sure the heating got to 37 degrees though.

Overall, I would recommend Red Flow to intermediate or advanced yoga enthusiasts. There were a couple of them there and I think they enjoyed the workout. They stayed after the class to chat with the instructor.

Not for newbs
I wouldn't recommend Red Flow to beginners or those who haven't tried yoga before. The difficulty level of the poses might discourage them. Although Pinay thinks Red Flow is the ideal workout for her, because it didn't tire her so much like the cardio-heavy classes. I guess it depends on what you expect from yourself. I personally prefer workouts where I don't have to resort to the easy options.

After the class, we proceeded to Pinay's condo just a couple of blocks away. We carbo-loaded on lasagna and eggplant and watched some local soap, then Eleanor and I took off.

No comments:

Post a Comment