Monday, November 15, 2010

Gym chronicles: Body Pump

If lifting weights is what you need, but the stationery machines bore you, then Body Pump is the class for you. This routine combines strength training and cardio workout, all in about an hour.

In the latest Fitness First booklet, Body Pump is listed among the advanced level classes. It is described as a "revolutionary weight training workout that strengthens, tones and defines every muscle in your body. All the benefits of working with weights in one action-packed, highly physical class."

I'm not sure about action-packed, but the class is indeed challenging. Body Pump is basically about lifting light weights repeatedly, and in different forms and speeds to challenge different muscles groups. The class requires a stepper, which is used as a bench, a mat, a bar, and weight plates.

Students can pick the weight plates they're most comfortable with, which for me means the lightest (1.25lbs). There is an option to add more weight to up the challenge.

The bar routines consist of a warm up set of easy lifts, shoulder presses, bench presses, squats and lunges. Free weight plates are used for chest and shoulder flies. Pushups and crunches are done on the mat.

The routines are done at an alternating slow-and-fast pace, which can get the heart worked out as well. One muscle group is targeted for the duration of one song, around 3mins or so.

Overall, I like Body Pump. It's a complete top-to-bottom workout that I can do without too much impact on my knees (currently the weakest link in my body, thanks to Wushu). I like that it has routines zeroing in on my upper arms, particularly the triceps. I need to trim at least an inch of flab there that hangs down when I raise my monkey arms.

I also like the instructor at SM North FF. He's a tough-looking girlie guy who can motivate the class with humor. At times he asks us to smile in the middle of a really agonizing routine. That never fails to crack me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment