Friday, May 14, 2010

The curse of Eve

I'm menstruating. I got my period.

There, I said it.

All women since the time of Eve had it, but menstruation is strangely a hidden experience. It's seldom mentioned outside medical references or health and women's magazines.

Having it is not something you just say out loud. It's not a subject for polite conversations. It's like saying 'tae' or discussing Fringe episodes at the dinner table. The way even us women whisper when we talk about it, or use codes like 'red flag' or 'those days' for it, you'd think menstruation is a dirtier subject than sex.

Why?

Beats me.

If men got periods, would this experience still be as hidden? Or would it be treated like the stubbles they shave in the morning--annoying, but nothing to get embarrassed about?

Sometimes all this sexual politics drives me crazy. Where did all this come from anyway? Does this story go back to the time of the cave people, when physical strength was the major currency?

I have no idea. And I don't really care. I'm just feeling really hormonal right now. I feel there's something majorly wrong in my world, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm touchy and sensitive, fat and bloated.

There's no cure to this. Womanhood is technically not a disease. It's just an inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment