Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm not anybody

That's why there's no reason for you to read this blog. There's nothing in here that can shake your world. If you're looking for something, please leave this page now because it's not here.

I attended Alf's Creative Non-Fiction workshop the weekend before last. From there I learned that unless you're somebody to anybody, nobody's really interested in your 'distilled realizations,' or your opinion of the shitty world we live in. No one.

Which is just perfect for me. Hence, I continue to write this blog. There is no attempt at coherence here, or even logic. So if I'm not anybody to you and you've read this far, geez, get a life!

I watched the whole Season 2 of 'The Big Bang Theory' over the weekend. Laughed a lot. Can't wait for Season 3. It'll end this May, so I expect I could torrent all the eps by June.

Currently reading three books:

1. 'The Amber Spyglass' (3rd in the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy) - I read this in bed because I find the plot a bit too uppity and somewhat subversive for the young adult genre. It throws around terms like 'experimental theology.' In short, it's pretentious, and helps me sleep.

2. 'City of Glass'(3rd in the 'Mortal Instruments' trilogy) - I read this when I get some slack time at work, or when I'm killing time at a coffee shop. Too adolescent actually. The protagonists are all under 18. But there's a lot of action and the language is simple and fast-paced. Plus there's a formulaic moody, bad-boy-in-a-sexy-way (albeit too young) hero. It tackles themes like homosexuality and incest--that's something new at least.

3. 'The Last Olympian' (5th in the 'Percy Jackson' series) - I love this 5-book series. The hero has ADHD and dyslexia, and this is fleshed out in his thought patterns, language and actions. As someone working with words, I find the language exquisite in its simplicity. There's humor and a lot wit. Very subtle but effective. Rick Riordan, please don't stop writing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ate Tin! Do you think I can get a pdf copy of Percy Jackson series over the net? I've been wanting to read the books since I saw the movie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. louise! just saw your note... i got the audiobooks if you like. i have the hardbound copy of 'the lightning thief,' as well.

    ReplyDelete